Monday 15 August 2016

Review: I Am Death

I Am Death I Am Death by Chris Carter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Chris Carter guaranteed himself a fan as soon as I finished reading the first Robert Hunter book. I knew without a doubt that the five star introduction to the series was a great promise of what was to come. I can safely say that I have not been disappointed by any of the Robert Hunter books. I have enjoyed some more than others, but they have all been great reads.

I Am Death is the seventh Robert Hunter book, and it is as great as the rest of them. Whilst it is not my favourite (that award goes to One By One, followed closely by the wonderful introduction to the series), I will happily place it in the middle of my list. Sitting in the middle of my favourite Chris Carter books, however, is still much higher than a lot of other crime thrillers on the market. No matter what Chris Carter gives, you know you’re getting a great story.

Book seven starts up not long after where book six left off. Book six was a great read, offering us a story outside of the norm. By that, I mean we moved location and things were a lot more personal for Hunter. With I Am Death, we’re back to what we have come to know and love in the earlier books. Don’t get me wrong, I adored book six, but I missed the interaction between Hunter and Garcia. Having the two men back together, watching their interactions as they worked to solve the crime, was a lot of fun. As much as I adore Hunter – he is a wonderful main character, and he is one of my favourite detectives to follow – I do have a soft spot for his partner. The start of the story alone worked to highlight why I love him so much, showcasing why we should have even more Garcia in the books.

I’m merely rambling about my mental petition for more Garcia scenes now, though. I apologise. Back to the good stuff: the actual story.

As always, Chris Carter has created a wonderfully connected story. The way he weaves the story together is brilliant. I want to say so much about the way certain things played out, but to do so would be to give a massive spoiler. Just know there is a bombshell to come near the end, and it is perfect in every way possible. You spend some much of the book thinking one thing, only for things to be turned around. In fact, Chris Carter turns many things around throughout the book. He has a great way of withholding information, or only showing it in a certain light, to ensure you believe one thing when in fact the story needs you to see things another way if you want to see the truth. It is a great talent, a wonderful way to keep the reader guessing until the end.

Overall, as always, this was a great addition to the series. It’s perfectly fine to read it as a standalone novel, but I do suggest reading all of the books. It’s much better to follow the story in order, allowing you to truly appreciate the way things come together.

I cannot wait for the next one – bring it on!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment