Wednesday 7 September 2016

Review: The Art of Persuasion

The Art of Persuasion The Art of Persuasion by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Art of Persuasion is the fourth book in the Swashbuckling Romance series, although you should know that you can read each book as a standalone. None of the books are linked. Each book tells an individual story. The only thing connecting the books is the theme: they are all pirate themed stories.

Heather C. Myers loves her pirate stories. If you’re a fan of pirate romances, then you should certainly pick one up. Mostly I have read her paranormal stories, enjoying the spin she usually puts on the paranormal world. Thus, it’s nice to read something different. It is nice to take a slight break from the paranormal work I usually read by her and pick up something else.

Not that this book is completely free of the paranormal. There is a slight aspect, as you can probably guess from the whole going back in time detail. Mostly, though, it’s free of the paranormal. This is just another one of her thrilling pirate stories.

For me, this book had a brilliant main character. I love it when characters in romance books are against love, when persuasion is necessary for them to accept their feelings. Whilst things moved a little bit too quickly for my liking, with the main character changing their view easier than I would have expected of someone with her viewpoints, it was a refreshing read when she was initially stating her views on the matter of love. In fact, there were quite moments in the story where I found myself enjoying her viewpoints.

The story, however, felt as though it was a bit lacking. I feel as though events were glossed over, to some degree. In the author’s other books the action aspect of the story has been played out, we got to experience the fun of the chase and the mission impossible aspects. With this one, the events are skipped over. We’re told events are to happen, or they have happened, but we are not given the details. This disappointed me, if I’m honest. I feel as though there was a lot of fun to be had if we watched the action play out, rather than simply being told such has happened.

Overall, though, it was a fun read. Personally, I believe this to be one of her best-written pieces of work. Whilst not my favourite of her books when it comes to the story, the voice of the main character really brought things to life.

As a final note, I would like to thank Heather C. Myers for allowing me to advance read this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment