Monday 5 September 2016

Review: The Enemy

The Enemy The Enemy by Lee Child
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I say this every time, but Lee Child is more of a guilty pleasure read than anything else. I enjoy the Jack Reacher stories yet I’m less sure about the story telling. Nevertheless, I mostly enjoy the books – some more than others.

As always, the writing left me feeling somewhat iffy. Whenever I have time away from the Jack Reacher books, it takes me a while to get back into Lee Child’s way of writing. Fortunately, this story was an interesting one meaning it did not take long before I was entertained enough to overlook the issues I have. In fact, I found this story to be super fun. It isn’t my favourite Reacher story, but the notion of the story pulled me right in.

With this one, we go back in time. We go back to when Reacher was in the service, showing the male in his role of a military police officer. Of course, when I heard this, I was pulled right in. Throughout the prior books, I have been hoping to find out more about Reacher’s time in uniform. This one didn’t disappoint: it had all the action of the prior books, added in with the military workings. When you put the two aspects together, you have another gripping Jack Reacher read.

Despite this, it failed to make it into my favourite Reacher reads list. It was an average read, even though the setting and story had such promise. It just missed out on those things that made some of the other books go the extra mile. It was fun, but it wasn’t enough to leave me crazy excited at the end of every chapter.

Overall, another fun addition to the series, yet it is not my favourite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment