Monday 5 September 2016

Review: The Missing Hours

The Missing Hours The Missing Hours by Emma Kavanagh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Missing Hours was my first Emma Kavanagh read, and I’m not entirely sure what I think. For me, it was a case of up and down. I never really got into the story as much as I’d hoped to, yet at the same time I found it to be a decent read.

The story is made up of two mysteries: a missing person who returns quickly and a murder. From the get-go it is obvious that the two crimes are related in some way, yet you are not sure how. Whilst I love interconnected crimes, I prefer it when it is less obvious that one event is so directly related to another. It meant I was constantly looking for the how, when I prefer the sudden heart stopping moment of a revelation.

Despite the obvious link between the two, it was fun to see how the crime unfolded. Following two police officers, the focus flickers from the one mystery to the other. Between these chapters, we’re also given information pertaining to the lives of some of the characters, seeing aspects of their job, leaving us with more questions about what was going on.

Whilst it was a lot of fun to watch these things come together, I found it exceptionally difficult to get into. I’m not entirely sure why this was, but it took me much longer to reach the point of enjoyment than it usually does. Partly, I think this is because of the speed. For me, things were rather slow. Moreover, whilst there was a mystery to uncover there wasn’t much by the way of action. Things happened, but nothing stopped the heart.

Overall, it was an okay read yet I wasn’t crazy about it.

As a final note, I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment