Sunday 11 September 2016

Review: World After

World After World After by Susan Ee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed Angelfall more than I had anticipated, due to this I started book two instantly.

I’ll admit, at first, I was somewhat worried. I feared this book would be a repeat of the first thanks to the ‘missing sister’ aspect of the story. I feared we would rehash the entire first book, hunting down Paige in the same way we did in book one.

Whilst there were a few repetitive moments, mostly this one was something else entirely. In fact, by the end of the book, I came to enjoy this one more than the first book.

World After picks up where Angelfall left off. If you’re questioning whether it is possible to read the books out of order, know it is not possible. Each story picks up where the last left off, and to understand what is going on you need to have read the prior book. With this one, we work to get some answers for those questions brought about in the first book.

As with the first book, things are a bit slow at the start. There is a lot going on, yet I felt as though there wasn’t much by way of action. It was great fun to see how people were reacting to things, fun to see what characters were up to, yet I wanted some more by way of action. I’d been expecting things to pick up where the first book had left off not only in terms of storyline but also in terms of level of action.

Not that the slower pace lasts for long.

Once the action begins, so much comes about. Many new things are brought to our attention, leaving us with more questions about the world and the creatures inhabiting it. Both the angels and the humans continue to grow, with both sides having good and bad aspects to bring to our attention. You’re left questioning people and events; you grow attached to both good and bad characters. All in all, there is a lot of development happening in this one. By the end of it, I decided I was foolish for even considering the notion of a repeat storyline. This book is very much its own, and it is wonderful in so many ways.

I really could say so much about this one, but I won’t. All you need to know is that it has all the beauty of the first book and then some more thrown in on top. This is a book of development, of working towards answering our questions whilst also leaving us with enough to pick up the next book as soon as possible.

A wonderful second book, more than capable of leaving you on the edge of your seat regarding how the trilogy will end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment