Friday 25 November 2016

Review: You Are Destined To Be Together Forever

You Are Destined To Be Together Forever [an Odd Thomas short story] You Are Destined To Be Together Forever [an Odd Thomas short story] by Dean Koontz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Odd Thomas series is one of my favourite series. Honestly, I cannot begin to explain how much love I have for the series. I fangirl like mad, telling everyone to read it. I could rant and rave for hours about how much I love the books. I won’t, though. At least not right now.

Therefore, it should come as no surprise to hear that You Are Destined To Be Together Forever has been on my to-read list for quite some time. Despite knowing the story was a mere handful of pages, despite knowing it added very little by way of knowledge of the series, despite having read some negative reviews, I needed this like I need oxygen. It was a must read. I wanted – no, I needed – the story of Odd and Stormy, the story of the Gypsy Mummy and her fortune.

I’ll admit the story did leave me wanting more. I went in knowing the story did not offer as much to the series as it wants you to believe… and still I wanted more. The first five chapters tell the story of Odd and Stormy as they deal with a recent arrival in the spirit world. It was an okay story, but there wasn’t really much by way of substance. It kept me interested, I cannot deny that, but it didn’t have the thrill factor of the full-length Odd Thomas novels. It was enjoyable, but rather weak compared to the main series. The final chapter is where the title comes into play. We get to read the story of the fortune Odd holds so close to his heart throughout the series. Whilst I did enjoy watching this scene play out, it didn’t add any information we hadn’t read before. These things had been alluded to throughout the main books, and if you were to take out the bits and pieces you would be given an almost word-for-word rendering of the final chapter of this story.

Nevertheless, it was Odd Thomas. I’m biased and love all Odd Thomas stories, and whilst this wasn’t my favourite it still just about managed to pull a four star rating out of me. An enjoyable enough read for the diehard fans of the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment