Thursday 22 December 2016

Review: Carnal Beginnings

Carnal Beginnings Carnal Beginnings by Reily Garrett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Carnal Beginnings is the first book in the Carnal series, although it was not the first one I read. Whilst this influenced my knowledge somewhat, it failed to lessen my enjoyment of the story. As with the two other books in the series that I have read, this one was a brilliant read.
 
This first book is a brilliant introduction to the brothers we follow throughout the series. We get to know them, we get to know their world, and yet we’re still left with enough curiosities to ensure we will want to continue to find out more about them. Whilst it’s not the strongest book in the series, it’s a very strong first book. Such a thing is expected though, with the first book being where the author finds their footing. In this one, Reily Garrett finds her footing and gives us an exceptionally strong read. The future books only get stronger and stronger, with their being a very clear development of the strength of her stories. I really do wish I’d read the books in order, though, simply so I could watch the author going from strength to strength. It’s not the first time I’ve done such a thing, and as always I regret it. One day I will learn my lesson, but until then – well, I’ve still had a wonderful time with these books.
 
As I’ve said, this is the first book in the Carnal series. It’s an entire story, with a complete start and ending, meaning you do not need to commit yourself to the entire series. You probably will, though. I’ve certainly committed myself to the series, and the author’s other work. Reily Garrett has a wonderful way of telling a story, pulling you in from the very start, ensuring you have no wish to put the book down until you know how things played out. You quickly fall in love with the characters, you’re pulled into their world, and everything is vividly brought to life.
 
I should probably stop here, and give a little warning.
 
This book is not for the faint of heart. It comes with a trigger warning – and for a very good reason. Very sensitive topics are touched throughout this book – not just on one occasion, but on multiple occasions. If any of the trigger warnings mentioned in the synopsis leave you questioning whether this is the book for you, I suggest you read one of the other books in the series. Each is an individual story, each stands alone. Each is wonderful, and you shouldn’t miss out on the author’s work due to the topics touched upon in the book.
 
Back to my review, now.
 
What I say next is linked, somewhat, to my mention of the trigger warnings. Whilst I really enjoyed the story, I found it somewhat hard to believe. Mainly, it was because of the time frame. I understand why things happened so quickly – the way things were linked together and the events that unfolded required things to occur at a rapid pace – yet I found it difficult to believe such a large change could happen to our female main character in such a time frame. Thus, I suggest you suspend your belief somewhat when reading this. It’s a wonderfully gripping story, it really pulls you in and leaves you wanting more, but – if, like me, you find yourself questioning the timeframe of changes – you may need to detach yourself from believing the story to be completely realistic.
 
Other than that, however, it was wonderful. As with all of the author’s work, so many aspects are brought together to ensure the story is more than just the sum of its parts. The romance is wonderful; the suspense is gripping; the erotica is tasteful. Each thing brought into the story has a purpose, ensuring you’re on the edge of your seat for the entire read.
 
Whilst it wasn’t my favourite of the Carnal series, it was certainly a wonderful read. With wonderful characters and a gripping storyline, it’s guaranteed to leave you wanting more of the author’s work.
 
I believe, up next for me, is the one book I’m missing from the series – Carnal Innocence. It’s time for me to complete this wonderful collection of stories, allowing me to come to a firm decision of which of the brothers I favour (I think I already know, but a girl can never have too many book boyfriends).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment