Saturday 7 January 2017

Review: An Education in Business

An Education in Business: A Somerset Novel An Education in Business: A Somerset Novel by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since stumbling across Heather C. Myers last year, I have read quite a few of her stories. Without a doubt, she always gives a thoroughly interesting read – and whilst some stories may be stronger than other stories, I cannot say there has been a story I have disliked to date.

An Education In Business is the third novel in the Somerset series, the first series by the author I picked up. Having read and loved the two prior books, I was super excited for this one. Truthfully, it’s my least favourite in the series. Yes, it’s a fun read; however, it wasn’t quite the high of the two prior books. Each is an individual standalone novel, each adds something different, and a part of me missed some of the aspects touched upon in the first two novels.

This third book in the series has a very different feel to the two prior books. Whilst it gives us another werewolf story, it doesn’t play out in the way the two prior books did. The two prior books dealt more with the divide between the supernatural world and the human world, giving us a story of those trying to keep the world safe from the supernatural creatures. This one has more of a general supernatural feel to it: the werewolves are simply accepted in society, it’s a business romance story with a supernatural twist. Don’t get me wrong, it made a very fun read. I just missed the feel of the first two books. Due to this, my four star rating is a round up. It isn’t quite the full four star rating of the two prior books, but it was pretty close.

Despite feeling as though this book wasn’t quite what I had hoped for from the third book in the series, I did enjoy the story with this one. The main character was a lot of fun, and the storyline was highly entertaining. The way the characters and storyline come together to give us a wonderful chemistry is great, leaving you with many entertaining scenes. As soon as the two characters come together you’re pulled into the story, crossing your fingers for how things will play out. Whilst it didn’t have the feel of the prior books in the series, I do believe the coming together of these characters is one of my favourite from the author. It is such an entertaining story, one that left me smiling throughout.

The only thing I will say is that I feel as though the exchanges between characters didn’t flow as well as they could have. I feel as though some points countered each other: almost as though things that were said in one chapter were ignored so that characters could expand at later dates. What I mean is people would seem to forget about things we already knew, asking questions we already had answers to only for the answers to be more detailed than what we’d been given in the past. This was more so an issue that could have been amended through slight changes in wording, but it did distract somewhat.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this one. It was an entertaining read, and I’m super excited for the next book in the series. The ending of this one shows we’ll be moving away from werewolves and vampires, giving us a promise of something wonderful – fairies. I cannot wait to see these creatures introduced to the Somerset world.

As a final note, I would like to thank the author for allowing me to advance read this in exchange for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment