Wednesday 1 February 2017

Review: The Pharaoh's Cat

The Pharaoh's Cat The Pharaoh's Cat by Maria Luisa Lang
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Pharaoh’s Cat was a brilliant little read, one I thoroughly enjoyed. I know I have given it three stars, but I did have a massive internal debate about whether to give it three or four stars. Three stars won out in the end for a handful of reasons, which I will go on to explain shortly, but it was so close to being a four star read that I know many others will not hesitate to give it the four star rating.

The Pharaoh’s Cat is a very simple story, yet it has so much to it. It is more than a simple story of a cat: it’s about friendship and love, the impact actions can have on other people, and so many other messages pertaining to how your actions can change lives. These messages, however, are not screamed at you throughout: they’re interwoven into a wonderful storyline that mixes together historical fiction and magic, giving you a sweet little story that spans thousands of years.

Told from the perspective of the cat, The Pharaoh’s Cat is made up of many amusing moments. In both ancient Egypt and modern day New York, we get to watch as the mystery surrounding our walking talking cat is solved. Throughout, we encounter numerous interesting characters and watch many wonderful scenes unfold. It really does pull you in, leaving you unwilling to put the book down for any period of time. Being such a short read, it’s more than possible to complete this one in a single sitting.

Such is what dropped it down to three stars for me, though. Whilst it was a wonderful quick read, I felt as though it needed to be a little longer. I feel as though some of the events were glossed over, that things happened too quickly, and we didn’t quite get the connections with some of the characters as we could have due to the speed at which the story progressed. I wanted more of the world, I wanted to spend more time watching adorable scenarios unfold, and I wanted events to be more mysterious. As it was, things came in quick succession and there wasn’t quite the shock factor with certain events as there could have been. Yes, I enjoyed all that occurred; however, I would have liked the story to have been a bit longer to have provided a bit more depth.

Overall, though, it was a wonderful read. I had a lot of fun with it – and, as I said, it was very nearly a four star rating. It left me super excited to read the next book, leaving me with the belief that book two will easily earn a four star rating.

As a final note, I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy in exchange for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment