Sunday 19 March 2017

Review: I Wanna Get Laid by Kade

I Wanna Get Laid by Kade I Wanna Get Laid by Kade by Nikki Ashton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Oh my, I had such fun with this. It was such an enjoyable read that I had to complete it in one sitting; such was my level of addition.

I absolutely hate reality television. I cannot even begin to describe how much. However, I positively adore romance novels that use reality television as a backdrop to the story. I’m not sure what it is, but I get super excited whenever I hear reality television is included in a story. It doesn’t always go well, yet in most cases I have found myself enjoy the story. I’ll admit that this one did remind me, at points, of another reality television romance novel I’ve read – mostly, though, it stood out from the crowd in so many ways.

I’ll admit that I was a little bit tentative at first. I wasn’t quite sure how the whole rags to riches element would play out in relation to the story, and in all honesty I was nervous about how it would play out. Homelessness is a very real problem in the world, and part of me feared it would be made light of through the story. Fortunately, such was not the case. Despite the types of emotions elicited throughout the story, the authors manage to stay sensitive to the issue of homelessness. They make it clear what types of people can find themselves in such an unfortunate situation, they make it clear that the judgements passed are uncalled for, and they make it clear how society needs to open their eyes. Honestly, it was so well done. It was informative without it impinging upon the romance aspect of the story. I would give a full five stars for that alone. There are so many additional brilliant aspects to this book, yet that is what easily stood out the most for me.

Both of our main characters are a lot of fun – you quickly fall in love with both of them, and you spend the entire book hoping that they will get their happily ever after. There are enough curveballs thrown in throughout, though, that there are times where you question whether such will be the case. It’s not just the main characters who are wonderful – the side characters pack a real punch. I loved to hate so many of the side characters, and that is exactly what you need in a book like this. So much drama is necessary – but the drama would be nothing unless the characters were petty and nasty. I really did love the bitterness of some of the characters, with certain ones left me wishing I could engage in their conversations simply so I could lower myself to their levels of pettiness (because, honestly, we all love a good petty moment).

The story is so much more than a simple tale of reality television, though. In fact, the reality television took up less of the book than I had expected. Due to this, I would have liked for the book to be a bit longer. I would have enjoyed more scenes where we were dealing with the reality television element. Despite having wanted more, however, I did enjoy all the additional aspects that were thrown in. I really don’t want to say too much, as it would result in spoilers, but I really enjoyed where things went towards the end of the book. It was an unexpected additional layer to the story, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching that aspect of the story play out.

Seriously, there were so many great things about this book. It is so much more than the synopsis would have you believing. Yes, we have all the dramatics of any good reality television romance story; however, we’re also given so many layers relating to everyday life. It’s such a nice blend of everyday drama and the excess drama created in the world of reality television. Even if reality television stories are not your thing, I would recommend you give this a try as there’s so many aspects that will appeal to people.

The biggest downside for me was the ending. I loved the way it ended, but I felt as though it was all too quick. I would have liked to see certain things play out instead of having them referred to in the epilogue. It just felt as though the ending was very sudden. We were on this crazy high and then boom – it’s over. I would have just liked a couple more scenes, just so that we could have watched the emotional aspects that clearly played out after the final chapter and before the epilogue. Many will enjoy the sudden impact of the ending, but it did leave me wanting a bit more. Still, it was a wonderful read.

Without a doubt, the authors have done a wonderful job with this one. Previously, I’d read Nikki Ashton’s Roman’s Having Sex Again, and having now read this one there is no question of me picking up more of her books. I’d never read a Victoria Johns book before, but I’ll certainly be looking to do so now.

Overall, a brilliant read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment