Thursday 20 April 2017

Review: Brutal

Brutal Brutal by Jenika Snow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Brutal was an enjoyable quick read, although I really had expected more from it. In all honesty, I went in with the wrong idea about this one. I’d been expecting a full-length novel; instead, I was given an extremely short story. In fact, the story was way shorter than I’d been hoping for – and such prevented me from loving it quite as much as I’d been hoping to.

In terms of storyline, it’s a decent story. It’s the classic friends-to-lovers tale, with secret feelings and sudden declarations. It is both sweet and steamy, giving you a wonderful combination of the two different types of romance story that you find. It really was a lot of fun, a great story to be pulled into.

However, it was far too short for my liking. It was lacking in the depth I required, it failed to give all I had hoped for. Had the story been longer, I would have been able to better connect with the characters. I wanted to love them as much as I enjoyed their short story, yet I feel as though I was merely given a snapshot of a much larger story. I wanted to experience the whole thing rather than just these few moments in time.

In other words, it felt more like a preview of a much larger story – a preview of the most important part – and failed to deliver the entirety of the story. Thus, what I would have liked is if the story was much longer and allowed me to fall deeper into the world of the characters.

Overall, an okay quick read to pass the time, but not really the kind of story to pick up if you want a deep read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment