Tuesday 25 April 2017

Review: Gas up the Jet, Baby

Gas up the Jet, Baby Gas up the Jet, Baby by Aubrey Parr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Gas up the Jet, Baby is a novella in the Love On series, although it’s advertised as working perfectly fine as a standalone. As a standalone read is how I read the book; however, after reading, I was left with the feeling that I would have enjoyed the story much more if I had read the prior two books in this series. Despite how easy it was to understand the characters, I didn’t have quite the appreciation for the referenced events as I would have had if I’d read the prior books. Thus, I suggest a bit of tentatively if you plan to read this as a standalone novel – it may work well alone, but it’s not quite the level of singularity as I usually like in my series spin-off novellas.

Although I tried to prevent my lack of knowledge from affecting my enjoyment of the story, I found it did in quite a few ways. References went over my head; the bonds between characters didn’t feel as strong as they probably would to those who have read the entire series; assumptions were made. It was a lot of little things that influenced my enjoyment, and yet I found these little things did add up.

Despite this, it was an interesting story. I admit that it didn’t quite grab me in the way I hoped it would – things seemed to happen too fast, it seemed to be a case of telling rather than showing, and I would have liked it if the story had a bit more depth than the events simply being – yet there was enough in the story to keep me entertained. There was romance and there was a bit of suspense. Throughout I was interested to see where things would be going, and as I worked further through the book I found events reached a higher point than I’d originally believed due to more being added than the synopsis had left me expecting.

Overall, an okay standalone read. As I’ve stated many times, it’s probably best if this novella is read in the context of the entire series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment