Monday 1 May 2017

Review: Cinderella.com

Cinderella.com Cinderella.com by River Laurent
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Everyone loves a good fairy-tale retelling – in fact, at times, a part of me questions whether the trend is getting out of hand. Most of the retellings seem to be Beauty and the Beast stories (at least, the ones I’m reading have been), so it was nice to pick up a Cinderella style contemporary romance.

The synopsis gripped me, but I wasn’t quite one hundred percent sure how the story would play out. I had so many ideas in my mind, there were so many possibilities, that when I did jump in I had to forced myself to clear my mind of these notions. All I knew for certain was that there would be the drama of fame and the beauty of a cowboy. Those are two things I’m sure any romance fan will want to read more of. What I didn’t expect, is to be gripped from the very start and to find myself completing this in one sitting. I told myself I was simply going to read a couple of chapters, and the next thing I knew a couple of hours had passed and I was wearing a stupid grin as I reached the end of the book.

From the very first page, I fell in love with our leading lady. We instantly connect to her, falling in love with her friends and wanting the best for her life. It’s always wonderful when you connect to a character instantly, and such is what happens here. Moreover, I love it when we’re thrown into the action straight away – again, such is what happens here. As soon as we’ve built a connection to our leading lady, we’re thrown head first into the drama of the story. It takes mere chapters before the story is moving at a rapid pace, pulling you from one wonderful scene to the next. Each time a new character or element was introduced, I found myself falling even more in love with our characters.

It was such a beautiful tale, giving us all kinds of emotions. There’s humour to be found; there’s annoyance at choices and situations; there’s edge of your seat moments as you question what happens next and whether there will be a happily ever after; there’s heart melting moments as you watch the interactions between the characters. There really is so much in this one – it’s the full emotional package, one that will stick with you for an extremely long time.

The only thing that let me down was the ending. Whilst it was a lot of fun, and I loved how it ended, I felt as though it didn’t quite have the depth that the rest of the book had. It was the perfect ending to the story, and yet it seemed to be over far too quickly. I would have liked a little bit more from it – more details, more specifics, more scenes… I just would have liked a little bit more. It was wonderful, but it could have delivered a more powerful kick than it did.

Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was a great debut novel, and I’ll certainly be looking to read more of the author’s work.

Note, I read an advance complimentary copy of this book as supplied by the author via Siobhan Davis's Street Team.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment