Tuesday 23 May 2017

Review: Enchanters

Enchanters Enchanters by K.F. Bradshaw
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Enchanters, the first in the series, was an interesting read, and one that has certainly left me interested to see where the series goes from here. Although it isn’t quite a full four stars for me, it was so close that I had to round up my rating. In all honesty, I believe the reason I’m not giving it a full mental four stars is because life threw quite a few curveballs my way that meant it took me longer to read this one than I would have liked. Nevertheless, as a whole I really enjoyed this one.

Enchanters is a wonderful new magic read, adding another fantasy world that people will find themselves slipping away to whenever they get the chance. It has everything you expect from a wonderful fantasy world: conflict, power plays, war, battles, magic, evil, disaster, adventure, and all the other goodies that leave you excited to find out more about the world. I admit that it was a bit hard to keep track of everything for a while, as there was so much going on, but once the story gets moving and clicks into place you find yourself lost in the world. The many different storylines come together well, the different elements complement each other, and it quickly becomes clear that the bigger picture is a lot of fun.

Although the story line does seem like a simple one, it throws enough in that you’re never bored. There is always something happening, moving the story forward. Even in those moments where the pacing lessens somewhat, you know the events are important to the bigger picture. Everything plays a part, and you’re constantly curious to see how everything comes together. Moreover, the story has so many different elements. It’s one of those stories where the aspects of the characters’ lives – elements such as love and friendship – play a vital role to the overall story. These elements flow so well, never feeling forced, creating a great combination of the dire magical world and the more hopeful daily aspects of life.

It’s these elements that make the characters so wonderful. The cast is a lot of fun, I cannot deny that, but what I really enjoyed was how real they became due to the bonds of love and friendship. Strong characters became even stronger when these aspects were added to the story, and events seemed direr because of the undertones added in. Honestly, the cast was so much fun: I really enjoyed watching as they developed throughout the story.

The main thing I feel was missing was the deep emotional impact. Whilst I came to love the characters and could understand their emotions, the big events that should have left me reeling simply existed. I think this is because these events were a bit on the predictable side. In fantasy novels like this, there seems to be a checklist of events that need to happen. We have to face certain worries, hence why I wasn’t shocked by some of the events.

Overall, though, I had a lot of fun with this one. As I said, it’s a great start to the series and I’m interested to see what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment