Monday 29 May 2017

Review: Shifting Darkness

Shifting Darkness Shifting Darkness by Kate Wendley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Shifting Darkness, the fourth book in the Forest of Darkness series, is easily my favourite book in the series to date. Each books gets a little bit stronger, bringing something more to the table, with this one threatening to blow me away with all that happens.

As a standalone novel, which you can read it as, Shifting Darkness is a wonderful read. There are so many wonderful elements to the story, so many things that will pull you in. When you read it in relation to the rest of the series, this book shines even brighter. Each book has been a thoroughly addictive read, yet this one reached all new heights. Everything I loved about the first three books seemed to be amplified in this book, leaving my emotions raw and bloody by the time I’d finished reading. If you wish for a standalone novel and you’re looking at this series, then Shifting Darkness would be the book I’d point you towards – however, I strongly advise you read the entire series. It will blow your mind in the best way possible, leaving you with the kind of obsession that is borderline unstable.

Mastering Darkness, book one, gave us a vampire story. Abandoned Darkness, book two, gave us a shifter story. Resisting Darkness, book three, gave us our second vampire story. Shifting Darkness, book four, has taken us back to the shifter world. I’m hoping this is an indication of how the series will continue throughout – vampire then shifter story – as I’m really enjoying the way this helps bring the entire world together. Throughout each book the main story arc of the series does appear, meaning we’re not focusing solely upon the couple of the book, but for the most part this story focuses on our shifter storyline. I thought the shifter storyline of Abandoned Darkness was amazing, but it really does pale in comparison to this one. The prior books have given us the stories of characters we already know – book two gave us Sebastian’s story and book three gave us Ethan’s story – yet in this one the two leading characters are new to us. Favourites from the prior books are around – and trust me when I say you’ll be screaming out for certain characters to have their stories told – but for the most part, we’re falling in love with two characters we have yet to be introduced to (but I am hoping they will play a large part in the future books).

As with every character we have been introduced to thus far, our leading characters in this one are wonderfully complex. I’ll admit to favouring our male lead over our female lead, but that’s only because of our male lead being the complicated individual in the story. He’s the one with the tortured past, he’s the one facing all kinds of issues, and he’s the one we’re all rooting for throughout the book. Honestly, I fell so in love with Vince and all his little problems. I wanted nothing more than to pull him into my arms and hug his troubles away. Not that his solution is that simple, as you’ll find out as you work your way through the book. His issues go much deeper than any simple remedy could hope to fix. Honestly, every time the book was focusing on another character I became all kinds of jittery – I just wanted to know what happened to Vince. I came to love him so much; I wanted nothing but the best for him. Without a doubt, he’s been my favourite of the male leads so far. Anthony left me wounded, Sebastian broke my heart, Ethan ripped me apart, and Vince… well, the damage done by Vince will never be repaired.

Of course, his story would be nothing had it done been done so well. It is such a deeply emotional read, one that grips you throughout. Every event that plays out forces a deep emotion from you, leaving you feeling exposed. I cannot say it enough – this is the best book in the series thus far. The way Vince’s story played out was wonderful, taking us on a wild journey throughout. Every time you think things are looking up, your heart is torn anew. I really do think this story was trying to damage me in irreparable way.

Whilst Vince’s story was the hardest hitting, the other elements of the overall story also move forward in deeply emotional ways. This book really does move the entire series forward in so many ways. With the events that play out around Vince, yet another new element of the supernatural world is opened up to us. Each of the books work to add something a little bit more, each teases us with where the series is going, and I honestly fear insanity as I await answers as to what comes next. There are so many things I need to know, there are so many events I cannot wait to find out more about, and I just know that each new story will be stronger as it teases me a little bit more.

Seriously, I’m so far gone with this series. It really is so high up on my obsession list at the moment. I’m sure people are tired of hearing me speak about it by this point – such is the level of love I’m throwing around right now. Not to mention my crazy desire to get my hand on the next book – it really cannot come soon enough. Waiting will be pure torture, as I cannot wait to find out what comes next.

Overall, this one is a very strong four-point-five star rating. There is no doubt that this series will be pulling a five star rating from me at some point, I can feel it in my bones.

The sooner everyone jumps on the Forest of Darkness bandwagon and experiences the emotional turmoil I’m suffering, the sooner the world will understand the wonder that is Kate Wendley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment