Wednesday 10 May 2017

Review: Taming a Savage Gentleman

Taming a Savage Gentleman Taming a Savage Gentleman by Tammy Andresen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Taming a Savage Gentleman is the fifth book in the Taming the Heart series. As with the prior books, it works perfectly fine as a standalone read. Whilst there are reoccurring characters, whilst we get to see how the lives of characters progress, each story is an individual tale of love. Reading all the books allows for a greater appreciation of how the series has progressed, but chronology is not the be all or end all that it is for some series.

As with the prior books, Taming a Savage Gentlemen is a wonderful read for those looking for something they can complete in a single sitting. Despite the length, however, this one does give you all you would hope for from such a read. It pulls you in from the very start, it offers the romance you desire, and it has enough pace to leave you guessing as to what will come next. Although I wouldn’t label this one my favourite in the series, it’s certainly one of my favoured ones. There was just something about the story – the simplicity, the ease at which it unravelled – that left me loving it more than I’d anticipated.

You see, at first I wasn’t one hundred percent sure about this one. Oh yes, I was pulled in; however, I wasn’t sure how I felt about a romance story that developed solely out at sea. Whilst I love such tales, the time frame for this voyage put me off. It wasn’t a journey from one side of the world to the other – it was a story told whilst journeying from England to Scotland. Not the longest voyage in history, thus leaving me tentative as to what kind of forced events would occur to string out a love story. Fortunately, things flowed with such ease. Nothing seemed forced. The story had nice twists without our imagination being stretched to extremes. It was nice and simple, and this made for a wonderfully sweet story. It wasn’t too taxing, yet it demonstrated all you need in such a story to ensure people are engaged.

Compared to the prior books in the series, this one seemed to be much simpler. In no way am I saying this is a bad thing – in fact, I really enjoyed this about the book. The simple way in which this story unfolds allowed me to truly enjoy this one, falling deeper into the world than I had anticipated. I think this is why I enjoyed this one so much – although it has all the trademarks of the series, it felt quite different at the same time.

Plus, it sets us up nicely for the next book. I was a bit tentative at first, considering the main character involved, but the development that occurred throughout this book has left me excited to see how the next story plays out. Without a doubt, I’ll need to pick up the next book in this series (not to mention, I still need to go back and read book one – a mental note that is constantly pushed down my to-read list, unfortunately).

As a whole, this was a wonderful addition to the series. It may not be my favourite, but it is certainly up there.

As a final note, I would like to thank Aurora Publicity for allowing me to read this in exchange for a review: I had a lot of fun with this one, and look forward to the next in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment