Monday 19 June 2017

Review: Mine

Mine Mine by A.N. Senerella
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mine is a rather difficult book to review. I really wanted to enjoy this one, and yet it wasn’t at all what I had expected. Whilst I was able to power through the book, reading it in a single sitting, it didn’t quite give me what I had been anticipating.

Mine is very much like a large number of young adult contemporary romance novels when it comes to our main character. We have a female that appears to be rather ordinary, yet we’re quickly thrown into a love triangle. Well, it’s more than a triangle in this one. We have three boys chasing after our leading lady for very different reasons. As I’m not a lover of love triangles, let alone more complex geometric love shapes, I was instantly on edge about this story. When such a thing happens, I like for there to be real emotion – with this one, it felt as though it existed purely for dramatic effect, without much by way of deep emotion.

You see Mine deals with a number of darker topics. Assault, drugs, invasions of privacy, stalking, violence, to name but a few. I feel as though there was a lot of potential because of these elements. However, we focused so much upon the romance that these aspects seemed to take a backseat. They were there, but they were never truly dealt with. I feel as though this is a reflection of how the book isn’t quite long enough to deal with all the elements that were brought up. Individually, one of these elements could have been dealt with in this book – however, the book failed to deal with all of the elements.

Mainly, I was addicted to this story because I was constantly waiting for these things to come together. Whilst the story did come together in a decent way, it felt as though the author had a number of ideas in mind and simply put them on paper. Rather than creating a complex interwoven story, the elements were simply thrown in and it was potluck whether or not they were dealt with.

In other words, the story didn’t quite have the depth and emotional impact I had hoped for considering the topics involved in this story. I also feel as though it’s one of those stories younger readers need to take with a pinch of salt. In many ways, it can be viewed as sending the wrong kind of messages to readers.

Don’t get me wrong I was pulled into the story, it simply wasn’t what it could have been if there had been more to it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment