Sunday 2 July 2017

Review: Boondocks

Boondocks Boondocks by Casey Peeler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m going to preface this review with a little note: this book is not quite a full four star rating. It was super close, but it wasn’t quite there. However, rounding it down was an impossibility. If I rounded the rating down, I would be doing this book a serious injustice.

Boondocks was my first Casey Peeler book, but I’m positive I’ll be reading more of her work. It was such a sweet story, one that pulls you in and holds on tight. I’ll admit that there were a few parts of the story where I wasn’t quite as engaged as I would have liked to be, but for the most part I found this book extremely difficult to put down.

We’re given a bittersweet young adult romance story, the tale of two completely different characters dealing with the harsh realities of life. As you would expect from any young adult contemporary read, we’re taken on a real rollercoaster of emotional situations. From the simple day-to-day struggles of teenagers, through to heart-breaking situations, this one will leave you hoping our main characters get the happy ending we know they deserve.

The only reason I didn’t give this a solid four star rating, making that little note that the start of this review, is because I found there were some point in this emotion heavy story where the emotions didn’t quite reach the highs they could have. Without a doubt, the story is emotion heavy – yet I didn’t feel certain emotions in the way I had hoped to. Certain scenes had the potential to break me, yet they didn’t, and due to that I couldn’t quite give it the full four star rating.

Overall, though, I had a lot of fun with this one. I’m certainly interested in reading more of the author’s work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment