Friday 4 August 2017

Review: The Assassin and the Underworld

The Assassin and the Underworld The Assassin and the Underworld by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having read and enjoyed the first five Throne of Glass books and impatiently awaiting the sixth, I decided it was time to work my way through the five novellas offered up in The Assassin’s Blade. I’d debated reading these stories at an earlier stage, yet I found myself too pulled into the main story to take a detour. I’m there now, though. I’m holding out that these five stories will tide me over until the sixth book is released.

Upon finished The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, I was unsure whether or not the stories would do much. The Assassin and the Pirate Lord was an okay read, but for the most part I really didn’t care. The Assassin and the Healer improved upon the first novella, yet it still wasn’t quite what I had hoped for. It was enough to leave me with the belief the stories would improve. With The Assassin and the Desert, I found myself back at my earlier stage. It was an okay read, but it failed to give me all I had hoped for. The Assassin and the Underworld returned me to the point of the second book. In fact, this is my favourite of the first four novella – I enjoyed it much more than the other stories, in fact.

These novellas are all individual but interlinked stories. With The Assassin and the Underworld, things are brought together really well. We have come almost full circle, with many things having happened throughout. I feel as though with this one we had quite a bit more action, and that more occurred. I was interested throughout, and I was pulled into the events and left wanting more. Not to mention the ending really grabbed my attention. It brings things together well and promises much more in the final story. The punch the other stories were missing actually occurred in this one.

Without a doubt, my favourite of the novellas thus far.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment