Tuesday 1 August 2017

Review: The Coven

The Coven The Coven by Chrissy Lessey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Coven is one of those books where I spent a good deal of time debating whether I was to give a three star or a four star rating. It is one of those books where I would give a three-point-five star rating were half stars possible. Alas, as half stars are not possible, I opted to round down. Part of me wanted to round up, I admit, but in the end I decided to round down.

The Coven is a great read for anyone who enjoys a good urban fantasy involving witches. A community with secrets, a family with a magical past, and a revenge mission – it seems to have it all. Whilst it did have a lot of good points, and I did enjoy it, the book didn’t quite pack the punch I had been hoping it would.

Personally, I feel as though the action wasn’t quite what it could have been. Quite a bit of the book went along at a rather relaxed and steady pace. This is perfectly fine, but it is not what I had been anticipating. I was very much in the mood for a high action read, and with the action being limited until the end of the story I felt as though the book didn’t quite deliver what I had wanted. I know many people will be fine with such a thing – and I did enjoy the story despite this – but because I’d been expecting something a little bit more I opted to round my rating down rather than up this time.

Although I would have liked a little bit more action, the story was interesting. I feel as though this book did a lot of work setting us up for the future books in the series, and now the ball has been set in motion the future books will be a lot more action paced. This book helped us to understand the history, to understand the characters, and gave us a general idea of how the magical world works. Now we have all of these things in mind, now things have started to come together, the future book are likely to give us all kinds of events. It is also due to my belief that the future books will be much stronger now we understand everything that had me rounding down.

Overall, this was an interesting read. It wasn’t quite what I had been anticipating, but I did enjoy it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment