Tuesday 15 August 2017

Review: Haunted

Haunted Haunted by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Haunted is the fifth book in Kelley Armstrong’s wonderful Women of the Otherworld series. If I’m being completely honest, however, it’s my least favourite book in the series thus far. It was more of a three-point-five star read, with my bias towards the overall series being the reason I rounded up.

The first two books in the series followed a werewolf, the third and fourth books in the series followed the witching world, and this fifth book takes us even deeper into the afterlife we were introduced to in book four. I feel as though this book does a lot to introduce elements that will come into play in the later books in the series, yet as an individual read it is not to the same level as the prior books.

For me, I found this one to be a much slower read. It took a while before anything really happened. There was a lot of information being given but there wasn’t really much happening. Yes, the storyline was interesting; however, it didn’t feel as though it was moving all that much.

Moreover, I found the characters in this one a lot harder to connect with than I did those in the prior books. Towards the end of the book I came to enjoy them more, but it was nowhere near the same degree that I have enjoyed those in the prior books. They weren’t quite as interesting, the romance didn’t do much for me, and as a whole they were merely a way to tell the story rather than being characters I would find myself invested in.

I’m super interested to see what the next book brings – as I said, this one feels like it has given us a number of things that will be important in the future – but I would not label this a favourite in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment