Thursday 31 August 2017

Review: Night Shift

Night Shift Night Shift by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Night Shift is the final book in the Midnight, Texas trilogy, and it was my favourite of the three books. In fact, for the first time in the series, there were moments when I considered giving a four star rating. Whilst there were a few four-star moments, it still wasn’t enough for me to round my rating up to four stars. At a push, I would give it a three-point-five star rating, but I wouldn’t go higher than that.

Throughout the first two books, we haven’t really been given one single story arc that we can become truly invested in. There are things happening, yes, but it is a case of bits and pieces here and there. Lots of little stories, linked only by locale. I’ve been waiting to find out how all the individual elements would come together, hoping there was something more.

Some details are explained. Some elements do come together. Some things get resolution. However, I wasn’t content with everything. There were still some things I was waiting to find out more about, still questions I needed answering. My initial feeling was contentment, but when I stopped to think, I realised I was nowhere near as happy with all of the details as I should have been. It was made to feel like a resolution through the biggest issues being given some kind of conclusion (be it good, bad, or merely predictable), yet there were quite a few little things for which I needed answers.

I think my biggest issue is that I was never really as invested in this series as I had hoped to be. I never really enjoyed the characters, I was never invested in the events, and I was merely making my way through the three books. Night Shift simply worked to bring things to a close, leaving me rolling my eyes at the predictability of some of the events and wishing other details had reached the potential they had.

Overall, this trilogy was mediocre – a way to pass the time, but not something I’ll be returning to at any point in the foreseeable future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment