Friday 8 September 2017

Review: The Sworn Sword

The Sworn Sword The Sworn Sword by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Sworn Sword is the second Dunk and Egg tale, taking place in the A Song of Ice and Fire world around one hundred years prior to the main story. Although you do not need to have read the A Song of Ice and Fire books to enjoy the Dunk and Egg stories, you do need to read the first story, The Hedge Knight, to understand this second story.

The Sworn Sword is a fun second Dunk and Egg tale, although I did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the first story. For me, The Hedge Knight packed a stronger punch. It took me a while to get into The Hedge Knight, but in the end I was pulled under the spell. The Sworn Sword failed to have the same impact upon me. I found it to be a decent tale, but I was never as invested in this one as I was the first Dunk and Egg story.

Although it was not as enjoyable as The Hedge Knight, it was a fun little addition to the Dunk and Egg storyline. It’s a very different kind of story, adding a lot more to the world than so few pages should be capable of adding. It leaves you intrigued to see what comes next, and reading it in conjecture with the first story (I read the stories through the A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms book) makes for a wonderful progressive story.

Whilst I may not have enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed the first story, it certainly added more to the Dunk and Egg storyline.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment