Friday 27 October 2017

Review: The Girl Who Saved Ghosts

The Girl Who Saved Ghosts The Girl Who Saved Ghosts by K.C. Tansley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Girl Who Saved Ghosts is the second book in The Unbelievables series, and it was as enjoyable as the first book. Much like the First book, The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts, my feelings are somewhat mixed. Certain elements of the story I really enjoyed whereas other elements didn’t quite live up to what I had been anticipating. As with the first book, it’s more of a three-point-five-star read.

The Girl Who Saved Ghosts builds heavily upon the events of the first book, meaning you need to read the first book to understand what happens in this one. The characters of book one reappear, with the events building upon what took place in the first book. In this one, we get to find out a lot more about the world than we did in the first book. Details of history and the families grow, giving us a much better understanding of what we are facing. There are still plenty of questions, many unknowns, but the image is much more solid in this one.

In addition to the storyline moving forward, the supernatural elements also become much clearer in this book. We had a pretty solid understanding from the first book, but there were many things we were still unsure about. This book addresses many of these issues, and helps to show us more of the world through taking us beyond the aspects introduced in the first book. Whilst the general supernatural elements were explained quite well, I’m a bit disappointed that the big evil wasn’t given the same amount of development. We got to find out bits and pieces about the darker side of the world, but I’d been hoping for a little bit more in terms of finding out about the big evil. I’m hoping such with come in the next book, though.

As with the first book, though, whilst I was interested in the events it didn’t quite pack the punch I’d been anticipating. I think a part of this may reflect my recent reads. I’ve read a lot of adult suspense books recently, a lot of books with high intensity action, and in comparison this felt much softer. There were moments of action, but I never really felt my heart pumping. I enjoyed what happened, but I wanted to be impacted more.

As with the first one, I did enjoy this. I’m certainly interested in seeing where the series goes from here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment