Sunday 12 November 2017

Review: Daddy's Christmas Date

Daddy's Christmas Date Daddy's Christmas Date by Piper Sullivan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Piper Sullivan is one of those authors I’m constantly seeing but never seem to pick up. I’m unsure as to why that is, when a few books have interested me, yet such was the reality of the situation until I decided to give Daddy’s Christmas Date a read. Whilst it wasn’t quite all I had been hoping for, I will be reading more Piper Sullivan in the future.

Daddy’s Christmas Date, as a whole, was an enjoyable read. It is one of those stories you can complete in no time at all, the story unfolding very quickly. Whilst I did enjoy it, there were a couple of things that I wasn’t overjoyed about, meaning it didn’t quite deliver the story I had been hoping for. In truth, this book was more of a three-point-five star read and I opted to round down.

The first half of the story I really enjoyed. Things happen quickly, and we’re pulled into the story of both the characters. Both are interesting, both make for fun reading. The interaction between the two was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the way they worked off each other. Having enjoyed the first half of the book, I went on to be quite disappointed by the second half.

The second half of the book felt too quick for me. Tension appears and then is resolved far too quickly. It felt rushed, if I’m honest. I was expecting things to play out on some deep level, but things felt rather cliched. I don’t mind a cliché or two, if done well, but I wasn’t as invested in the second half of the story as I had hoped I would be. I watched things unfold, but it failed to have any kind of real effect on me.

In fact, my favourite thing about the second half of the book was Blake. I enjoyed him throughout the book, and in the second part I came to adore his character even more. I really do hope we get to see his story in the future – it’s certainly something I will pick up.

Overall, it was a fun quick read. It wasn’t quite all I had hoped for, but I’ll certainly be reading more Piper Sullivan in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment