Wednesday 22 November 2017

Review: Everett

Everett Everett by Casey Peeler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Earlier this year I read Casey Peeler’s Boondocks. I enjoyed the book, although I would not label it a favourite, and was interested in reading more of the author’s work. When I saw the Drake Brothers series, I thought it was time to give her another try.

I’ll be completely honest, I have a love-hate relationship with short stories. The line between the two is very thin. Whilst I did find Everett to be an enjoyable enough read, I did not love it. It was fun to pass a short period of time – being a story you can complete in well under an hour – but it isn’t something I’ll be going out of my way to read again. I’ll certainly be reading Jeremiah – probably Colby and Beckett, too – but I doubt this will be one of those series I’ll be crazy excited about, just something I’ll be willing to read to pass a bit of time.

My issue with a lot of short stories is that I really enjoy seeing all of the small details. I like watching as things develop, as everything plays out. In short stories, we’re given things at a rapid-fire pace. With Everett, I feel as though this kind of storytelling means a lot of the potential was lost. Both our main characters had an interesting background we could have dove deeper into, and the chemistry between the two of them could have been expanded through showing us more of their interactions. I believe this could have been a lot more enjoyable if we’d been able to see all the little things that played out.

As I said, I’m interested in continuing the Drake Brothers series, but I doubt I’ll be doing so in a timely fashion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment