Sunday 24 December 2017

Review: Golden

Golden Golden by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Golden is the conclusion of Melissa de la Cruz’s Heart of Dread series, a book I read out of obligation. I finished reading the series because I brought all three of them, and was able to complete them in under forty-eight hours, but I wasn’t invested in them in the way I had hoped I would be. Regarding my enjoyment of this particular book, it was my least favourite of the series – the others I considered a two-point-five-star rating, but I couldn’t with this one.

The series had potential, there was the possibility of a wonderful dystopian-fantasy hybrid, but the series never reached the point I had expected it to. Everything was glossed over, things were rather predictable, and nothing really grabbed my attention. This was especially true in this final book. I wanted something big to happen, I wanted everything to come together well, but it played out in the same fashion as the prior books – things happened, but it was never really anything we experienced on a deep level.

For those who enjoyed the series, I’m sure they would enjoy the way this one came together. It was something a bit different to the norm, and I’m sure fans will enjoy it. But, as I said, I wasn’t invested in this series at all – I finished it because I owned the books.

Whether or not I will read another Melissa de la Cruz book remains to be seen. The Heart of Dread series has not left the best of impressions on me, so I’m somewhat dubious about picking up any more of her books. Maybe something will convince me, but I will not be going out of my way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment