Tuesday 5 December 2017

Review: No Rest for the Wicked

No Rest for the Wicked No Rest for the Wicked by Kresley Cole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

No Rest for the Wicked is the third book in Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series, and it is easily my favourite. Both The Warlord Wants Forever and A Hunger Like No Other were three star ratings from me, and I was fearful I would not be enjoying this series. In fact, I’d decided if I did not enjoy No Rest for the Wicked I would not be carrying on.

Whilst No Rest for the Wicked is not the strongest four-star rating I have ever given, it is certainly a much stronger book than the two prior stories in the Immortals After Dark series. I was tentative when I started this one, spending more chapters than I would have liked believing my feelings towards this book would mirror the prior books, but once the story got going I found I was enjoying it a lot more. I feel as though the series seems to have found its footing with this book, has finally found its stride.

With the prior books I never really felt much for the main characters, but with this one I found myself enjoying the two main characters. The interaction between the two of them was a lot of fun, and the whole insta-love element was done in a way you very rarely see. They recognise what they have towards each other – the whole ‘you are mine for life’ thing that is present across urban fantasy – but they do not label it love straight away. It was refreshing to watch characters accept there is something there without automatically throwing around the word love.

I also felt as though there was a lot more action in this book. I did expect a little bit more – I had a whole supernatural Hunger Games image going on in my mind when I imagined what this book would provide – but what we were given was a lot more than in the prior books. Things were happening throughout this book that were not simply limited to the romance aspect, and I really appreciated this. Whilst I enjoy paranormal romance, I like there to be more to the story than just the romance – and I did not feel as though there was much of anything other than the romance in the first two stories. In this one, we got some action and found out even more about the world. In fact, I feel as though the supernatural world really grew in this book – with the prior books we simply knew there was more, a lot to explore, and in this one we finally got to see some insights into the wider world.

Although I will not be jumping straight into Wicked Deeds on a Winter’s Night, I am now willing to consider giving it a read. It may or may not happen, I cannot say for sure, but I am not writing this series off entirely considering No Rest for the Wicked managed to win me over more than I expected.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment