Saturday 23 December 2017

Review: Running Out of Space

Running Out of Space Running Out of Space by S.J. Higbee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Running Out of Space is the first book in S.J. Higbee’s Sunblinded series. It’s one of those books where I’m a bit torn when it comes to giving a rating, as in the end I’d like to give a point-five-star rating. Therefore, even though I have given it a three-star rating, know it is more of a three-point-five star read.

In truth, I was a little bit unsure about whether or not I wished to read this one. A part of me was intrigued, but another part of me was unsure as to whether it was really for me. Although I enjoy a good science fiction read, I am very particular about the science fiction books I pick up. When it comes to finding new authors in the genre, I’m especially nervous. I have such a long list of expectations when it comes to science fiction, and I’m never sure whether all the boxes will be ticked.

Running Out of Space did tick many of my boxes, but at the same time I wasn’t completely happy with the story. I think the biggest issue I experienced occurred at the start of the story. We dive straight into the story, which is wonderful, but I never really felt as though I understood the world we were in. I’m a huge fan of world building, and what occurred within this story felt like too little too late. If the truth is to be known, I had to double check to make sure I was reading Running Out of Space and that I hadn’t accidentally picked up Dying for Space by mistake. I love it when books throw us right into the action, but it was far too long before I had a solid image of the world in my mind. By the end of the book, I still had some questions, but what I did understand I really enjoyed.

Another element I really enjoyed is how well everything in this story came together. I was fearful at times, as I was never entirely sure as to where the story was going. There were so many storylines that I found myself questioning what kind of science fiction book this was to be. There was drama on so many different levels, multiple different elements were introduced, and I wasn’t sure what the story was building towards. When things did come together, when everything was put together at the end, it was wonderful. There are more things than I could list introduced throughout this one, and they all came together so well. At times I felt as though it was a bit much for one book, but I really do appreciate the way everything came together.

It may not have been everything I had thought it would be, it may not have ticked all my boxes, but Running Out of Space was certainly an interesting introduction to the Sublinded series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment