Friday 1 December 2017

Review: Undercover Attraction

Undercover Attraction Undercover Attraction by Katee Robert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Earlier this year I picked up Forbidden Promises, the fourth book in Katee Robert’s O’Malley series. I read it as a standalone novel, and really enjoyed it, and was super interested in reading more of the series. I had planned to pick up the earlier books – to grab The Marriage Contract and following in order through The Wedding Pact and An Indecent Proposal – before the realise of Undercover Attraction. Unfortunately, book five was released before I could play catch up. Thus, I jumped into book five having only read book four.

In truth, Undercover Attraction does not work as a standalone novel as well as Forbidden Promises did. A lot of the details mentioned in Undercover Attraction relate back to information in the prior books, to events in the prior books. I had ideas from things mentioned in book four, and from things said in this book, but I was unable to appreciate things in the same way fans who have followed the entire series will be able to appreciate things. In fact, I feel as though this is why I didn’t love Undercover Attraction in the way I had hoped I would.

As I said, I really enjoyed Forbidden Promises. I was pulled in from the very start of the story, finding myself unable to put it down. The storyline was addictive, the characters were a lot of fun, and the romance was built around great chemistry – all whilst leaving me curious about the underlying story working throughout the entire series. In this one, I feel as though things focused more upon bringing together all the elements that have made up the undercurrent of a story throughout. There was an interesting storyline, the characters were fun, and there was certainly chemistry – however, it was not the mind-blowingly addictive story I experienced with Forbidden Promises. In fact, due to the gaps in my knowledge, I felt a bit lost at sea at some points in the earlier parts of the book.

I still really enjoyed it, don’t get me wrong, I simply feel as though I did not appreciate it in the way I would have liked to appreciate it. I expected to feel a bit more towards the characters, to be sucked deeper into the romance, yet such was held off until later in the book. The later parts of the book I really enjoyed – I just wish I could have appreciated the entire book in the way I had hoped to. I’m sure I would have enjoyed this book even more, then. As it stands, this was a much weaker four-star book than Forbidden Promises, but my opinion in that regard may change once I am up to date with the series.

Without a doubt, I will need to play catch up with the series before I read book six. I know book six is going to bring so many elements together, and whilst I may be intrigued by what I know, I’m positive I will enjoy it even more once I have complete knowledge of the O’Malley storyline. Thus, my plan of action before book six is released is to read books one through three.

For those who are up to date, however, I’m positive this story will be a winner.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment