Tuesday 16 January 2018

Review: Dark Matter

Dark Matter Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well, damn. To say I enjoyed this is an understatement – I was addicted, completely gripped throughout, and I adored the story.

In fact, this was extremely close to receiving a five-star rating. In many ways, this is a The Lies of Locke Lamora situation all over again. Not in terms of the story – the two books are completely different, in most conceivable ways – but in the reason why I did not give a five-star rating. What I mean to say is that a little thing prevented me from rounding my rating up. Only once have I managed to overcome my fear of the little thing and handed over those five glowing stars, and that was with The Martian after a lot of debate. I came extremely close to handing this one a five-star rating, in the same way I hovered over those five-stars with The Lies of Locke Lamora, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to do so. I was close, so very close, but I just held off from doing so. Thus, while I have given this a four-star rating, know it is a very strong four-stars – so close, it was almost a five-star read.

Blake Crouch has been on my radar for quite some time, his Wayward Pines series sounding like the kind of thing I would love. With so many books I’m interested in, I have yet to work around to the Wayward Pines series. Surprisingly, when I picked up Dark Matter, I did not make the connection in my mind. In fact, if you had asked me before I started reading for the name of the author I probably wouldn’t have been able to tell you. I picked the book up because the synopsis sounded interesting and I needed another book to complete a deal. It turned out this was my favourite book of those I purchased that day, something I have found to happen a couple of times, and it has guaranteed I will be picking up more Blake Crouch in the future.

You see, I picked this one up because it sounded like the kind of thriller I would enjoy. What I did not expect was a wonderful science-fiction novel. I can be somewhat selective when it comes to my science-fiction reads – I really enjoy the genre, but I find it can be a bit hit or miss at times – and had I realised this was a science fiction read I’m unsure as to whether I would have picked it up. The title should have given it away, the synopsis should have made me realise sooner, but in my mind I was anticipating a dark and twisted psychological thriller. Instead, I was given a wonderful science-fiction read, with all the elements of a wonderful thriller – a sci-fi thriller.

From the very first chapter I was lost to this book. It was one I refused to put down – holding it in my hand as I ate dinner, sticking my nose in deeper as people sat down to watch television, and the age old taking it to the toilet with me when the need to pee became too much. In other words, putting it down was pretty much impossible. I was sucked in, needing to know what comes next. Every page you turn leaves you wanting more, each new element of the story sucking you in deeper.

The events hit you hard and fast, there is plenty of action with one thing following another before you could take a breath. There was always something happening with this one, making it extremely fun and unbelievably addictive.

Plus, the science-fiction element was wonderful. Part of the reason I find myself picky with science-fiction reads is caused by my inability to turn off the scientist part of my brain. I question everything. I find myself checking the information given to the knowledge in my mind. Faulty scientific information makes me sad. With this one, the science was really well done, adding so much to the story. It is not the kind of book where you need a physics degree to understand it, as it easily brings the concepts to life in gripping ways.

Honestly, I was lost to this story. I enjoyed our main character; I enjoyed the events; I enjoyed the way things came together. As I stated at the start, however, there was that one little thing. For me, it was the writing style. I love unique writing styles, they’re my favourite thing. At times, though, I felt as though the writing pulled me out of the story. It wasn’t regularly, but it happened more than once. I blame this on how the writing was-

Broken.

Listed.

Single words.

Not full sentences.

Needlessly.

It is hard to emulate, but at times it was a bit distracting. Once, possibly twice, I could have dealt with – but when it occurred throughout, I found myself unsure. It felt unnecessary to me, occasionally interrupting the flow of the story. It may not be a thing to distract everyone, but I found myself noticing it more than I would have liked. It is not enough to put me off reading more Blake Crouch books, but it was enough to prevent me from giving a full five-star rating.

Also, I should point out how some people may not be happy with the ending. I loved it, I really enjoyed the way everything came together. For people who like it when every tiny detail comes together, when every little string has been tied, this book will not be for you. The ending is a bit on the open side – you have an ending, but you’re left with one big question. I won’t say what the question is, but some may not be happy with such an end. Personally, I really enjoy endings that are a bit open, and this one was brilliantly done.

Without a doubt, I loved Dark Matter. I cannot begin to express just how much fun I had with this one, but it certainly exceeded my expectations. More than worth the read, for sure, leaving no doubt of more Blake Crouch books appearing on my bookshelves in the future.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. But Siobhan did you like it? Smile. Great passionate review. I had to go back and read my review again. I couldn't help the repetition but it definitely drew you in. I actually love the moving to verse style. I forgot about that and may try his popular series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the moving to verse style is something you will either love or hate - it's just one of those things. As for reading his popular series, I'm certainly going to do so!

      Delete