Sunday 14 January 2018

Review: Down on Me

Down on Me Down on Me by J. Kenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Down on Me is the first book in J. Kenner’s Man of the Month series, and it’s a wonderful start to what promises to be a collection of novels that will grip me until they are all out. Each novel features a favourite trope from romance, with Down on Me starting us off with the friends to lovers trope. It’s an oldie, but a goodie – there’s a reason it gets used so often and us romance lovers continue to enjoy it.

I will admit to the story being somewhat predictable. You know it’s a friends to lovers story, you know our male lead is going to be picked to be January’s man of the month, and when some facts come out you know another trope that will be coming into play. However, despite the predictability, this story was really enjoyable. It is short, allowing you to complete it in no time at all, and everything within the story leaves us wanting more. I admit it is not quite a full four-star rating, but it was so close I had to round it up.

I think the biggest thing I loved, however, was the set-up for the rest of the series. The romance story within this one was a lot of fun, but we were introduced to so many characters and we can make some guesses as to what tropes they will be – beauty and the beast, single dad, and second-change love being just three of the ones I’m super excited for after being introduced to the cast of this book.

I admit this book will not be for everyone – as it is working on tropes, anyone looking for something new and shocking will not find it here. Those looking for things they know and love, those wanting to follow a big story told in the former of twelve smaller love stories, will certainly enjoy this. If you’re sitting on the fence, unsure, I suggest at least giving this one a go – I wasn’t completely convinced I would love this before I jumped into it, but I enjoyed it so much more than I had anticipated.

Honestly, I’m so excited for book two. The epilogue gave us an insight into Hold on Tight, and I know we’re going to have a lot of fun with the second-chance romance story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment