Tuesday 9 January 2018

Review: Eye of the Falcon

Eye of the Falcon Eye of the Falcon by Dale Mayer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although Eye of the Falcon is the twelfth book in Dale Mayer’s Psychic Visions series, it’s actually the second book in the series I have read. Note, it is perfectly fine to read this book as a standalone novel, but you do get a better understanding of some of the details in the book if you have read the prior books in the series.

Last year I read Flynn’s Firecracker and instantly wanted more of the authors work. Thus, I jumped at the chance to read Seeds of Malice. Sadly, I did not enjoy Seeds of Malice anywhere near as much as I enjoyed Flynn’s Firecracker. Seeds of Malice was a decent read, but I found myself giving the book a three-star rating in the end. I blamed most of my issues with the book on how I read it as a standalone novel, meaning I was missing out on information. Thus, I told myself I would go back and read the prior books in the series. Although I have downloaded some of the earlier books onto my Kindle, I found myself reading book twelve before playing catch-up. Unlike book eleven, I found I had fewer unanswered questions with book twelve. It may have helped that book eleven gave me a small introduction to the series, but mostly I believe book twelve to be a much stronger book than book eleven.

Eye of the Falcon is a wonderfully gripping story from the very start. Instantly we are pulled into the lives of the characters, the storyline leaving us wanting more. Question after question builds, with each new detail pulling us into the world. With so many elements throughout, you’re guaranteed to fall in love with at least one detail of the book. It’s possible the mystery will be the thing to grab you, or maybe it will be the suspense. It could be the romance between the characters, or even the way in which the characters play off each other. It may well be the supernatural element that holds your attention, the psychic elements being linked to the birds making for an intriguing aspect. As I said, there is much about this story to enjoy, and there will be something to grab you throughout.

Although I would have liked to have gone back to read the prior books before jumping into book twelve, this book was not damaged in any way through my lack of prior reading. In fact, reading book twelve merely highlighted how desperately I need to go back and read the rest of the Psychic Visions series. The main characters in this story were wonderful, I came to enjoy them so much, but I also developed an appreciation for some of the other characters – and it is these characters I want to find out more about through going back and reading the prior books in the series.

The only real disappointment I had with this book was the ending. I felt as though things were rather lacking towards the end. There was so much information provided throughout the story, so much happened, that when things came together at the end I felt as though it was not the powerful collision of events it could have been. I guess I just expected something a bit more from the ending, I thought the way things came together would be more powerful.

Nevertheless, as a whole, I had a lot of fun with this one. I’ll certainly be giving the other books in the series a read – hopefully I will manage some of them before book thirteen is out!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment