Monday 12 March 2018

Review: Briguella

Briguella Briguella by Vicki Fitzgerald
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When Vicki Fitzgerald contacted me about her debut book Briguella, I was instantly curious. The synopsis sounded wonderful, and I was wanted to find out more. As a big fan of British crime thrillers, I was more than willing to dive into this one. When I found out it was based around real life events Vicki Fitzgerald covered as a journalist, I was even more excited to dive into this one.

Although I did enjoy this one, it did take me quite a bit of time before I was sucked into the story. Things start off hard and fast, as you would hope from a good crime thriller, but it was a while before the characters sucked me into this one. As much as I love hard and fast events, it’s always the characters that win me over in a good crime thriller – I want officers I can love, victims I can connect to, and bad guys I can hate. With this one, it was a while before I started to feel anything towards the characters, before they became more than just a means of telling a story.

Once I was pulled in, however, I did find this to be an interesting read. Clear research has occurred with this one, bringing to life the details and events. You’re curious as to how things are going to come together, soaking in all the information you’re given, all the while waiting to see whether your beliefs are to be confirmed by the end of the book.

I know many consider a three-star rating to be a bad rating, but it’s not. I did enjoy this one, and I am curious to see what else Vicki Fitzgerald will bring to the table, I had just been hoping for a little bit more from this one. It was enjoyable, but it wasn’t quite enough to leave me obsessed in the way some crime thrillers do.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment