Sunday 11 March 2018

Review: Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having read and enjoyed the original Grisha trilogy, I was more than willing to dive into the Six of Crows duology. I wasn’t sucked entirely into Six of Crows at first, but by the time I was finished I found myself desperate for Crooked Kingdom. It ended on a high, an open high that required me to see what came next.

Following on from all that occurred in Six of Crows, Crooked Kingdom takes us even deeper into the criminal world we came to enjoy so much in the first book. Many things we glimpsed in passing are brought to the forefront in this book, many details we wanted to know more about are expanded throughout this story. There were some points where I felt as though things were moving a bit slowly or were being dragged out, but as a while this one built wonderfully upon the first book.

As with the first book, Crooked Kingdom is a story with so many interconnected layers, creating an intricate story that will leave you addicted throughout. Each time you turn the page something more is added, new twist are constantly appearing, and everything is brought vividly to life. Things I enjoyed in the first book became even more powerful in this second book, and I found myself lost to the story unfolding.

Moreover, for fans of the original trilogy we get to see some of our favourite characters in this one. I originally contemplated diving into the Six of Crows duology without reading the original Grisha trilogy, but I’m glad I didn’t. I appreciated the little hints and exchanges so much more in this one because I already had an understanding of the world. Not to mention, it’s left me super intrigued to find out even more about the characters.

You see, although the main story comes to an end in this one, I feel as though there were plenty of things left open by the time I turned the last page. We know what was happening to characters, we know where things are heading, yet I feel as though things weren’t taken to the depth they should have been in a concluding book. I have plenty of questions I want answering, more things I wish to see for the characters in this one, and I hope Leigh Bardugo provides these answers in the future. I’m aware there is to be a King of Scars book – something I’m really looking forward to – and a part of me is worried it may not tie up everything. If it is to be a complete standalone series, in the way this one was, I feel as though it may not touch upon everything – otherwise it means it will need to be a closely tied in series and I’m unsure if such is the plan. I’m not going to speculate on what it to come, though, just know I am interested in seeing where things go in the future.

Overall, I really enjoyed the way things were brought together in this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment