Tuesday 13 March 2018

Review: Get It On

Get It On Get It On by J. Kenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Get It On is the fifth book in J. Kenner’s Man of the Month series, and it’s another winner. I’ve been a fan of this series since book one, yet each additional book sucks me in ever deeper. I find myself desperately awaiting the release of the next book, counting down the days until it appears on my Kindle. Each time a new one appears, I devour it, starting the cycle all over again. They’re the perfect books to binge read, and I’m almost annoyed with myself for deciding to read them as they’re released as it is forcing a wait upon myself when all I want to do is consume them all at once.

The Man of the Month series is a collection of interconnected romance stories, proving individual stories as a larger story plays out. Each novel features a favourite romance trope, ensuring there is something for everyone. The first book, Down on Me, provided us with the friends-to-lovers trope; the second book, Hold on Tight, provided us with the second chance romance; the third book, Need You Now, provided us with the brother’s best friend trope; the fourth book, Start Me Up, provided us with the one-night stand. This book combines two tropes – one we have seen before, and one we have yet to see in the series. It is another second chance romance – but, more importantly for those looking for something different, it is the secret baby trope. Well, that’s if you can call a grown child a baby – it’s more of a secret child story, but you know what I mean.

Although each book is an individual story with a start and an end, I would recommend reading these books in order. To understand some of the details of the story in full, you need to understand how things came to be throughout the prior books. You’re certainly told, to ensure you have the basic facts to understand the story, but it is not the same as experiencing all that happened – for a bigger picture, read the series in order. With our main character in this one being central to the overall story, I believe it is especially true for this book. Not necessary, but recommended. It gives you a better insight into some of the events that play out in this one, along with giving you more insight into the past events, and it prepares you for what is to come in the future books. Sure, you’re can pick and choose with these books – but to get the best experience I beg you read them in order, especially if you want the full impact of each story.

As with the prior books in the series, you go in with certain expectations – you have an idea of how the trope plays out and you know who is to be the next man of the month – yet it is the smaller details that keep you hooked throughout the stories. You want to see how the tiny things will come together, you want to see what small unique elements will appear, and you want to see how the story will play out for these characters. After growing so attached to our male lead in the previous books, this was especially true for Get It On. With all the feel-good elements of this book, I couldn’t help but adore the story that played out for a character I enjoy so much.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not my favourite in the series. In some ways I had expected a wee bit more from this one, but it was an enjoyable story for the character. There was history and emotion, and although it had a bit of a different feel about it to the prior books, I did enjoy how things came together. In truth, I was so invested in our male lead already, things could have gone drastically wrong with this book – had I not been happy with his story, I would have been extremely annoyed. Fortunately, I was perfectly content with how the story played out.

There is no doubt this is another wonderful addition to the series, and that I’m about to return to the waiting part of the cycle when it comes to this series. I may not have much invested in the characters of In Your Eyes, but I’m positive I’m going to have a lot of fun with it.

Let the obsession continue.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment