Tuesday 13 March 2018

Review: Possessive

Possessive Possessive by Willow Winters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Willow Winters is an author who seems to grab me with every book she releases, each one begging to be read. They promise the dark romances I favour, the gritty storylines that keep you hooked. Despite having quite a few Willow Winters reads on my Kindle, it was only recently that I popped my Willow Winters cherry through reading She Asked For It. I adored it, and was left wanting more.

Fortunately, upon finishing She Asked For It, we’re made aware of a connected story – Possessive. In She Asked For It, we are introduced to Daniel and I was so excited for his story. Despite his appearance in She Asked For It, I had no idea what to expect from this one. Daniel was a fun character but there was such an aura of mystery around his character that I was clueless as to what I would be receiving with Possessive.

For those of you who have not read She Asked For It, do not feel as though you need to go and read it to enjoy this one. There are a couple of comments made to the events and characters, but it is not a case of needing to read one to understand the other. That being said, I would certainly recommend giving She Asked For It a read – it’s such a powerful book, one that is more than worth grabbing.

With Possessive, we’re thrown straight into Daniel’s story. We finally get the details of his life, his past, and all the darkness that surrounds him. I’ll be honest and say I didn’t enjoy this one quite as much as I enjoyed She Asked For It, but it was a fun read. I think the reason I preferred She Asked For It is because Possessive was a slower read – it took a while before we’re completely sucked into the darker elements of this story, before we get all of the details, and while I loved the build-up I feel as though it did not hit as hard as the truth bombs that hit us in She Asked For It. I shouldn’t compare the two books, though, as they’re both wonderful within their own right.

Although it is a bit slow at first, the book does keep you turning pages. The story is gripping, slowly feeding you the information. There was a lot more build throughout this book than I’d expected, more elements were introduced than I’d originally anticipated, and I enjoyed the way so much was introduced in the later part of the book. Add in great characters and wonderful chemistry, and you know the romance side has you hooked as well.

My main issue, however, was with the ending of this one. Not that I disliked the ending – I loved it – it’s more so the fact I wasn’t forewarned of what was to come. You see, Possessive was advertised as a standalone novel. The romance does have a start and an end to the story, yet there are plenty of things left open. There are plenty of details that still need to be explained – and this is because it is connected to the upcoming story we are to receive for Carter. I love that we’re to get a story for Carter, I was hoping for more of his character, but I wish I’d been informed in advance that some details would be left open and would not be answered until the next book. I just wish it had come with a warning is all, as I was hoping everything would be cleared up in this one.

Despite this fact, however, I am super excited to dive into Carter’s story. Not only am I interested in getting the details to fill in the blanks relating to events in this one, but I’m also really excited to see how Carter’s story plays out. There’s such promise for how Carter’s tale will unfold, and I’m so eager to dive in.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment